...disclaimer...

...disclaimer...

what you are about to enjoy is extreme emotion. whether that emotion is joy, sadness, hope, weakness, strength, disappointment or elation, know that everything you read here is
true. please feel free to post your thoughts :) they are much appreciated!

help me help fight Cancer one word at a time,
Danielle

..."feed your faith and your tears will starve to death"...

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cultivating Colin

As oxymoronic as this may sound— part of life is death. This past Saturday the world bid farewell to one of the nicest men I’ve ever had the opportunity to know, Colin Feeney. Colin is my Uncle Scott’s father. Being that Scott is married into the Chase family, I have no actual blood relation to Colin; although one would never know it judging by interaction.

Throughout my college softball career, we took many spring break training trips spanning anywhere in the United States from California to Florida. Despite the long distance from home, Colin always showed up for spring training with a smile on his face and his brother Gerry in tow. I didn’t know it this past February, but that was the last spring break any of us would share. His support did not only extend to sunshiny states, though. Once my team would retreat back to the snowy North for spring, Colin was known to pop in at a game and even treat me to dinner afterwards.

Colin, I know you are smiling down on us and you probably think you are the lucky one, being in Heaven and all. But in reality, I was the lucky one for having had a chance to cross paths with a noble father, veteran, and person. The pleasure was all mine. May you rest in peace, Mr. Feeney.

Today in an effort to pay my respects to this stand-up guy, I visited his calling hours. It was here where I began to think that had mom not gone to the doctor when she did, this funeral could have been paired with hers. I quickly shook the thought because it is a bit ridiculous to think about what would or could have happened. It seems most important to concentrate on what did happen and focus on all of the positive feedback she receives from the doctors each week.

This summer I learned a very basic lesson—people are not invincible. I realize this seems like rather pathetic message to just be learning at age twenty two but really, most people don’t realize that at some point their time will run out. I learned not to take time for granted. I loved seeing Colin. And I love my mom. And there are a million and ten things I want to do, accomplish, see, feel and know before I pass.

Leaving the funeral home today I almost felt invigorated—like, I needed to go and do something that is on my Bucket List (which is a great movie, by the way).

Prior to the calling hours mom and I had been arguing and when I came home, I gave up the “I am right” stance and decided to relish in the fact that my mother is happy, radiant and alive. So what if I accidentally ran our cell phone bill up with ring-back tone charges, money is not everything!? (Although if you must know, I do not think she has forgotten about the bill… thankfully we are no longer feuding.)

The moral of the story is, you get one life to live so it may as well be spent happy! It is with great appreciation that I say, Thank You, Colin, for teaching me yet another lesson—even when you aren’t physically here, you are still touching my life. That is pretty impressive.

1 comment:

  1. I have found myself thinking about life and death as well, Danielle. Going to Colin's funeral was tough. He was like an uncle to us and will be greatly missed. It seemed like he had just stopped over for a visit--Father's Day; and the next thing we know he's at peace with God.

    Also, with fighting my own battle, it makes it a little more realistic for me to see the other end of the spectrum. I am trying to be positive throughout this process, but as I'm facing something like the big "C," it makes me look at all aspects! I really need to quit picking up pamphlets, too. Did you know 20,000 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and within 5 years, only 5, 000 of those women will survive? This was NOT what I wanted to read. I want to be a part of those 5,0000 people!!! It made me look square into the eyes of the other end of the rainbow. . . not what I needed to read as I finished the third cycle of chemotherapy treatments, feeling weak and crappy---the half way mark!

    I appreciate everyone and everything so much more. The little things that used to set me off just don't matter all that much; even the cell phone bill. Just be sure to cough up 7.95. That's reality, girl! hahaha Love you bunches! Together we will pull through this.

    ReplyDelete